Share the story of what Open Access means to you
University of Michigan needs your feedback to better understand how readers are using openly available ebooks. You can help by taking a short, privacy-friendly survey.
The West Bank Survey from Faras to Gemai: 2. Sites of Meroitic and Ballaña AgeWilliam Y. Adams 2005 © BAR Publishing
You do not have access to this book. How to get access.
This volume is the first of a series that will report on surveys and excavations carried out in the most northerly portion of Sudanese Nubia, in the years between 1960 and 1963. Specifically, the area covered comprised the west bank of the Nile between the villages of Faras and Gemai, and adjacent islands of the Second Cataract. This stretch of approximately 60km was selected for initial attention because it was the area most immediately threatened, by construction of the cofferdam that preceded the main Aswan High Dam. During the course of four seasons the West Bank Survey recorded a total of 262 sites, ranging in age from Neolithic to early modern, and carried on at least some excavation in well over half of them. The present volume describes only the sites of Meroitic and Ballaña age that were discovered during the survey, while sites of earlier and of later date will be described in subsequent volumes.
- BAR pre-2020
- BAR International Series pre-2020
- 9781407327631 (ebook)
- 9781841716817 (paperback)
- BAR Number
- Death / Burial / Cemeteries / Tombs
- Craft working (general titles, bone, glass, textiles, etc.)
- Classical and Hellenistic
- Ceramics and Pottery Studies
- Metal Objects
- Excavation / Fieldwork / Survey
- Architecture / Domestic and Urban Buildings and Space / Urbanism
- Migration Period, Early Medieval and Medieval
- Egypt and Sudan
- Citable Link