Share the story of what Open Access means to you
University of Michigan needs your feedback to better understand how readers are using openly available ebooks. You can help by taking a short, privacy-friendly survey.
PHAROS: The Parian Settlement in Dalmatia: A study of a Greek colony in the AdriaticBranko Kirigin 2006 © BAR Publishing
You do not have access to this book. How to get access.
This is the first detailed study in English of the Greek settlement of Pharos (Stari Grad) on the Croatian island of Hvar. This book presents life in Stari Grad (a Parian colony of the 4th c BC) and its nearby vicinity in the period occurring more than two millennia ago. The author employs methods used in prehistoric and classical archaeology, as well as data known from written, epigraphic, and numismatic sources. Chapter 2 outlines the prehistory; Chapter 3 focuses on the colonial aspirations of Cycladic island of Paros; Chapter 4 presents the remains of the city of Pharos today; Chapter 5 explores the landscape around the city; Chapter 6, the social organisation and city administration; Chapter 7, the economy; Chapter 8, the numismatics; Chapter 9, the ceramics; Chapter 10, the cults of Pharos; Chapter 11, burial rituals; Chapters 12 and 13, Demetrius of Pharos.
- BAR International Series pre-2020
- BAR pre-2020
- 9781407330204 (ebook)
- 9781841719917 (paperback)
- BAR Number
- Ritual / Religion / Temples
- Excavation / Fieldwork / Survey
- Classical and Hellenistic
- Landscape Archaeology
- Ceramics and Pottery Studies
- Agriculture / Farming / Husbandry / Land-use / Irrigation
- Conflict / Military / Fortifications
- Central and Eastern Europe
- Bronze Age and Iron Age
- Ethnoarchaeology / Anthropology
- Architecture / Domestic and Urban Buildings and Space / Urbanism
- Greece, Aegean, Crete and Black Sea
- Trade / Exchange / Travel / Economy
- Citable Link