Share the story of what Open Access means to you
University of Michigan needs your feedback to better understand how readers are using openly available ebooks. You can help by taking a short, privacy-friendly survey.
The Years without Summer: Tracing A.D. 536 and its aftermathJoel D. Gunn 2000 © BAR Publishing
You do not have access to this book. How to get access.
"In the fall season of A.D. 536 Cassiodorus sat at his writing table....." So Joel D. Gunn begins this interesting and unusual topic of study. Fifteen further papers discuss the climatic events and ramifications of that year, when the absence of sunlight turned the grapes bitter and gaunt faces walked the streets of Rome and all of Europe. This book examines the first millennium A.D. worldwide context of Cassiodorus and the situation he and his contemporaries experienced. Can we draw any comparisons with today's global changes?
- BAR International Series pre-2020
- BAR pre-2020
- 9781841710747 (paperback)
- 9781407352121 (ebook)
- BAR Number
- Far East
- Central and South America and the Caribbean
- Migration Period, Early Medieval and Medieval
- Western Europe and Britain
- Agriculture / Farming / Husbandry / Land-use / Irrigation
- Prehistory (general titles only)
- Late Antiquity and Byzantium
- Archaeobotany / Environment and Climate
- North America
- Citable Link
25 views since February 28, 2020