Share the story of what Open Access means to you
University of Michigan needs your feedback to better understand how readers are using openly available ebooks. You can help by taking a short, privacy-friendly survey.
Les pavements d'opus signinum: Technique, décor, fonction architecturaleVéronique Vassal 2006 © BAR Publishing
You do not have access to this book. How to get access.
'Opus signinum' is an antique floor-covering technique, especially noted in the Mediterranean area. The technique is based on a waterproof mortar of a mixture of lime, water and tile powder which gives it a reddish colour. This current research focused mainly on the opus signinum process as recorded in the antique literature (especially Vitrivius and Pliny) and then scientific analysis, in order to define the composition of the mortar. Over 100 pavements from Mediterranean countries (5th c BC – 2nd c AD) have been compiled in the catalogue, making it possible to study the ornamental patterns and the various uses the rooms/spaces were put to.
- BAR pre-2020
- BAR International Series pre-2020
- 9781841719085 (paperback)
- 9781407329215 (ebook)
- BAR Number
- Architecture / Domestic and Urban Buildings and Space / Urbanism
- Catalogues / Collections / Indexes / Bibliographies
- Craft working (general titles, bone, glass, textiles, etc.)
- Art / Sculpture / Gems / Seals
- Greece, Aegean, Crete and Black Sea
- Archaeometry / Scientific Dating
- Epigraphy / Ancient and Medieval Texts / Papyri
- Citable Link
34 views since February 28, 2020