Share the story of what Open Access means to you
University of Michigan needs your feedback to better understand how readers are using openly available ebooks. You can help by taking a short, privacy-friendly survey.
The Sardinian Neolithic: An Archaeology of the 6th and 5th Millennia BCEGary Webster 2019 © BAR Publishing
You do not have access to this book. How to get access.
Despite Sardinia's extraordinarily rich Neolithic record, very little of it has made its way into the general European discourse. Written as a companion to G. Webster and M. Webster, Punctuated Insularity. The Archaeology of 4th and 3rd Millennium Sardinia. Oxford: BAR International Series 2871, 2017, the present volume addresses the omission by offering a synthesis of an archaeological corpus still little known outside the island. It covers in detail the evidence of colonisations and subsequent adaptations to the Sardinia's diverse environments in terms of settlement patterns, craft industries, subsistence economies, mortuary and non-mortuary cult expressions, imagery, art and extra-insular relations with special emphasis of neighbouring Corsica, while offering interpretive suggestions. As a study of the frequentation and settling of Sardinia as a locale, a large, insular, west-Mediterranean landmass, by people with non-indigenous heritages, it furthermore locates the island's cultural modalities within the so-called neolithisation of the broader Tyrrhenian region during the sixth and fifth millennia BCE.
- BAR International Series pre-2020
- BAR pre-2020
- 9781407355214 (ebook)
- 9781407355115 (paperback)
- BAR Number
- Ritual / Religion / Temples
- Excavation / Fieldwork / Survey
- Craft working (general titles, bone, glass, textiles, etc.)
- Ceramics and Pottery Studies
- Art / Sculpture / Gems / Seals
- Neolithic / Chalcolithic
- Architecture / Domestic and Urban Buildings and Space / Urbanism
- Death / Burial / Cemeteries / Tombs
- Prehistory (general titles only)
- Trade / Exchange / Travel / Economy
- Citable Link
22 views since February 28, 2020