Share the story of what Open Access means to you
University of Michigan needs your feedback to better understand how readers are using openly available ebooks. You can help by taking a short, privacy-friendly survey.
La villa rustica di C. Olius Ampliatus: Suburbio sud-orientale di Napoli (Ponticelli)Sergio Cascella and Giuseppe Vecchio 2014 © BAR Publishing
You do not have access to this book. How to get access.
This study examines the excavation of a villa rustica located in the south-east suburbs of Naples. This villa has been attributed to C. Olius Ampliatus because during the excavation a signaculum with his name was discovered. The excavated building was built in the late second century BC and enlarged in the time of Augustus and destroyed during the famous eruption of Vesuvius in 79 AD. This intact Roman villa of the Imperial period contained machinery for the production of wine and olive oil, and the parsurbana of the house was decorated with mosaics in opus signinum. In the basement below the torcularium was found the body of the vilicus who sought refuge there during the catastrophe.
- BAR pre-2020
- BAR International Series pre-2020
- 9781407312392 (paperback)
- 9781407342078 (ebook)
- BAR Number
- Death / Burial / Cemeteries / Tombs
- Craft working (general titles, bone, glass, textiles, etc.)
- Art / Sculpture / Gems / Seals
- Excavation / Fieldwork / Survey
- Agriculture / Farming / Husbandry / Land-use / Irrigation
- Epigraphy / Ancient and Medieval Texts / Papyri
- Western Europe and Britain
- Citable Link
5 views since February 28, 2020