Show Sold Separately: Promos, Spoilers, and Other Media ParatextsJonathan Gray 2017
It is virtually impossible to watch a movie or TV show without preconceived notions because of the hype that precedes them, while a host of media extensions guarantees them a life long past their air dates. An onslaught of information from print media, trailers, internet discussion, merchandising, podcasts, and guerilla marketing, we generally know something about upcoming movies and TV shows well before they are even released or aired. The extras, or “paratexts,” that surround viewing experiences are far from peripheral, shaping our understanding of them and informing our decisions about what to watch or not watch and even how to watch before we even sit down for a show.
Show Sold Separately gives critical attention to this ubiquitous but often overlooked phenomenon, examining paratexts like DVD bonus materials for The Lord of the Rings, spoilers for Lost, the opening credits of The Simpsons, Star Wars actions figures, press reviews for Friday Night Lights, the framing of Batman Begins, the videogame of The Thing, and the trailers for The Sweet Hereafter. Plucking these extra materials from the wings and giving them the spotlight they deserve, Jonathan Gray examines the world of film and television that exists before and after the show.
Table of Contents
Search and Filter Resources
- Add filter Section: Introduction: Film, Television, and Off-Screen Studies to constrain search results to 5 items5
- Add filter Section: Chapter 2: Coming Soon! Hype, Intros, and Textual Beginnings to constrain search results to 23 items23
- Add filter Section: Chapter 3: Bonus Materials: Digital Auras and Authors to constrain search results to 6 items6
- Add filter Section: Chapter 4: Under a Long Shadow: Sequels, Prequels, Pre-Texts, Intertexts to constrain search results to 1 item1
- Add filter Section: Chapter 5: Spoiled and Mashed Up: Viewer-Created Paratexts to constrain search results to 7 items7
- Add filter Section: Chapter 6: In the World, Just Off Screen: Toys and Games to constrain search results to 4 items4
- Add filter Section: Conclusion: "In the DNA": Creating Across Paratexts to constrain search results to 2 items2